Through various considerations, Beckfield College can accept transfer credits from a post-secondary institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Beckfield College applies two principles in its evaluation of credits earned at other institutions:
- A student should not be put under an unnecessary academic or financial burden by having to repeat courses which he or she has substantially and successfully completed at another appropriately accredited institution;
- A student should not be put in an academic or financial risk by placement into courses for which he or she is not academically prepared.
The College will evaluate courses for transfer if those courses have been earned at post-secondary institutions accredited by agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Only courses that can be applied to the student’s program are accepted. In evaluating credits for transfer, the College must consider: Program deans reserve the right to request that students seeking transfer credit show adequate knowledge or skills through demonstration, interview, or written examination.
- The age of the credits earned.
- The compatibility of the course with a comparable course in the student’s program at Beckfield College, the grade earned in the course, which must be at least a C (at least 70%, or 2.00 on a 4.00 scale).
- The number of credit hours awarded by each eligible course, a semester credit hour converting as 1.5 quarter credit hours.
- The number of credit hours eligible for transfer as a proportion of the number of credit hours required by the student’s program.
The transfer of technical or program-specific courses may be restricted, and applicants or students may be required to qualify by testing in order to transfer certain other courses, as determined by the appropriate academic department.
All transcripts submitted for transfer credit evaluation must be received by Beckfield College before the end of the student’s first term. Students applying for nursing programs MUST submit any transcripts for transfer credit evaluation before the Nursing Admission Committee reviews their initial application.
Evaluation of a collegiate transcript is conducted only after an official transcript has been received directly from the institution at which the courses under consideration were originally earned. Unofficial or hand-delivered transcripts will be evaluated under the following exception:
Beckfield College will only accept and evaluate hand-delivered transcripts under the following conditions:
- The College must receive the transcript in an official, sealed envelope that has not been opened or tampered with in any way and dated no more than 30 days before submission.
- The registrar of the prior institution must have signed or marked the envelope across the closure seal.
- The envelope is opened by the proper, designated officer at Beckfield College.
- Transcripts marked “Issued to Student” are acceptable only if all of the above criteria are met.
- Transcripts marked “Unofficial” are NOT acceptable even if all of the above criteria are met.
For more information regarding the credit transfer process, please contact our Admissions team at 859-371-9393.
More on the Application Process